The news is buzzing about linking of Aadhaar card and PAN card is compulsory; and unlinked PAN will be blocked, taxpayers thereby unable to file their Income Tax Returns (ITR) . Yes, you heard it right, linking Aadhaar card with PAN for filing Income Tax return is compulsory but there is some false information running along.
No PAN or ITR will be blocked even if Aadhaar number is not linked with PAN.
The due date given by the government for this was 30th June, 2017. However, after a clarification from a senior Income Tax Department official, it is thus brought to relief of the taxpayers that no PAN will be blocked even if PAN left unlinked.
Although, it is to be brought to the notice of taxpayers that linking of Aadhaar number with PAN shall be done before or along with filing Income Tax return (ITR) in the current year, they are advised not to rush for it now or by 30th June, 2017.
This step has been taken to keep a check on tax evasion.
How to link Aadhaar to PAN card online
We will help you do this on your own. Four steps to link your Aadhaar with PAN.
Method 1: Online
- Log in to the income tax filing website.
- Go to ‘profile settings‘ on top of the page and select ‘link Aadhaar’ option.
- Add your personal details, matching it with details on your Aadhaar card.
- Click on ‘Link now‘ and you will receive a pop-up message saying that both the documents are linked.
This is only if details on both cards are the same.
Method 2: SMS
Another method is that you can link your Aadhaar with your PAN card by sending an SMS to 567678 or 56161 from the mobile number registered with your Aadhaar card.
Unable to link Aadhaar card with PAN card?
Although the methods to link the documents are easy, it involves a condition:
- Details on both documents should be same. If the details mismatch, the two will not be linked.
- If you have changed your name, say after marriage, and your PAN card has your maiden name while your Aadhaar card carries your name post-marriage, the two will not be linked.
The Income Tax Department, however, has come up with the idea of the OTP method for those who do not have the same details on both the cards. The user will receive an OTP on the mobile number registered with Aadhaar, provided that the date of birth is the same on both documents.
Partial Relief by Supreme Court
The Supreme Court recently said that it is mandatory only for those who hold both the documents. The court granted partial relief to those only having the PAN card — striking down the government decision that any PAN card will be made invalid if not linked to an Aadhaar number before July 1st 2017.